Friday, December 29, 2006

More Blessed to Give than To Recieve

(P.S Not a true story. Entirely fiction but was originally based on a true story between my friend Cao Yue and me)


Belle and I had been close friends since last year. It was a great joy sitting next to her as everyday, we would indulge ourselves in childish banter about anything under the sun, or even grapple with each other, pretending to be pseudo-wrestlers.

As we returned to our seats, I quickly rummaged throught the contents in my pocket, bringing out two sweet wrappers which I brought from home. Otherwise known as 'sweet dried pork' or 'Niu Rou Gan', these savoury snacks had been our obession and a must-gave during school lessons, especially during physics.

I offered one to Belle, who perked up gleefully at the sight of it.
"Thanks so much, sam!" She gushed in appreciation. Without hesitation, the both of us plopped the treat into our salivating mouths, looking at each other in agreement that this was truly the best thing on earth! The tantalising beef jerky was so full in flavour and its tangy aftertaste was ever lasting. Drawn to its heavenly nature, our eyes sparkled with imense satifaction as we contined to savour the pork shreds. The moment we finished it, our heart ached, wistfully longing for just one more.

And so time ticked and Mr. Lim's voice continued to drone on. Sure, I did catch a bit about the laws of Newton, but the only words I could really register were 'velocity', 'acceleration' and 'gravity', which flew past my right ear and zoomed pass the other. No wonder my Dad said I should receive the reward for Most Sustainable Physics Grades. Back then, I was hopeless with physics, and 'C's just stayed with me. What is it with everything that comes up must come down and all those other laws of physics? As I was thinking about the pain caused by the build-up of gastric juices, I swerved my head to observe the other pupils. Most of them had their bodies sprawned on the tables, arms flared out, mouth half opened wide enough to catch a fly. Even a few china scolars were daydreaming, thinking about anything other than Physics.

Belle, on the other hand was the only one listening in rapt attention. Her eyes, although encompassed by dark circles, were eager and focused.

Now is the best time to seize the chance, I thought, the side of my mouth curling upwards. With stealth, I meticulously pried open the last remaining 'Niu Rou Gan' wrapper, bolting it down my mouth ravenously. Unfortunately, this was in perfect timing with the ringing of the last bell, which signalled the end of the day.

In a split second, Belle swerved her head towards me, while I turned my back to her, desperately trying to chew the remaining morsels in my mouth. Each pork shred weighed on my tongue like a mass of glue, unwilling to go down my parched throat. With each chew, I could feel the guilt accumulating in me.

"Sam", Belle inquired. Her voice less sweet but more stern than before. "I know what you're doing. Can you give me another one too?"

"Sorry, I just ate the last one," I lied, pretending to dig into my pocket to check, which actually still kept two more sweets that I wanted to keep for myself. Blame me for being self-centered for I do not care.

Noticing Belle's dull, expressionless eyes and sunken shoulders, I steeled myself to cheer her up. "Belle, please do not cry. How about making a deal?" I said with enthusiasm, "If you give me Joseph's number, I will promise to give you five of the 'dried pork sweets' for free." I could feel a surge of elation through my entire being because I certain Belle would have no choice but to oblige to my request.

True enough, I was right. WIthin the next four days, a tide of joy washed over me as I begin to store Joseph's phone number into my handphone. Just as I had promised, I thrusted Belle with five of her favourite pork sweets. FLushed with happiness, her sparkling eyes crinkled mirthfully and Belle expressed her gratitude.

As Belle and I trudged down the school slope with our leaden-legs, I was baffled that she did not even touch any one of those sweets. Even as we neared our neightbourhood estate, Belle's pallid face had a puzzling mix of despair and euphoria.

Then suddenly, my thoughts were interrupeted by some flicker of movement.

A little boy donning a ragged shirt and dishevelled hair ran to us beaming from ear to ear. He smiled fondly at Belle, then at me. As I scrutinized his delicate features, I could notice the resemblance of Belle.

"Ben, come here," Belle said affectionately. "These are dried pork sweets. Try them, they're really good." And with that, she stooped low, stuffing all five of the sweets into his hand.

With an encroaching sense of shock, I stood abreast them, flabbergasted at Belle's actions. Emabbarrassment was written all over my face. Belle, oh Belle. She was willing to sacrifice her wants for others and for this, I have gained a newfound respect in her. Touched by her grace and kindness, I willingly took out two more sweets which were well-hidden in my bag, and placed them into Belle's hand. She gazed in my eyes, grinned broadly, then nodded.

As I watched adoringly at the two of them munching happily away, a sense of euphoria enveloped me. I had not only incited feelings of pleasure for the two siblings, but for myself.

Afterall, it is blessed to give than to receive.

(WRITTEN IN SECONDARY 4)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Niu Rou Gan? lol haha. I think its written well eh. at least better compared to mine.

Mine's cheese at best. lol