Saturday, May 19, 2007

Unbridled Joy

A few things worth mentioning because... i'm in such a good mood these few days.. Woohoo I learnt 5 new guitar songs today and have taught 3 of them to my brother, as in taught him how to sing them from scratch. Must admit man, he's such a fast learner. Oh about singing, I taught shu huey the moo huey the song amazing grace and we practiced singing it in harmonics together! Super fun! THen there was napfa test,kids tutoring and hanging out with my friends to watch spider man 3!

Kids tutoring:
The 12 of us went to jwps to teach mrs leow's primary 5 students maths after school on thurs, like we always do. As usual, my kid was quite weak in maths and he drew models so slowly. I had to train him to do it with speed and thankfully, it was an accomplished day because we managed to tackle all the 11 difficult model questions.

Its fun doing the sums with the kids, partly because it was challenging to think of how best to explain it to them. At first while doing those sums, I was afraid I couldn't think of a solution in time or worst still, if I couldn't do the sum! But actually, tutors make mistakes sometimes and there wasn't that need of fear.

Oh, my kid's name was 'Dendric' which sounds like a shorter version of the 'Dendrictic' river. Haha when I first heard his name, I was like 'nice name' and told him about the dendritic river I learnt in geog, then saying it was such a cool name to be named after some river pattern. 'Your parents must be smart, ' I said to him. But the kid just stared at me blankly, looking as though he was absolutely clueless as to what I was talking about. Then I was like, crap, haha how stupid of me! Primary 5 kids don't know nuts about river patterns! and when he told me his name was spelt 'DENRIC' and not 'DENDRIC', I felt even more stupid. And both of us laughed.

Kids are just so fun to teach and after every session, it feels great knowing that you've taught something to the kid and it will make a difference in his studies. Maybe I can be a part-time primary school teacher when I'm nearing my 60s or if I'm temporarily unemployed.

Then on friday came the most dreaded NAPFA test 5 items

My results:
2.4km: 15.22
shuttle run: 11.4
standing broad jump: 167cm (a miracle didn't happen haha)
sit and reach: 48cm
sit ups: 31
and incline: 8

WOOOHOOO so glad I passed!!!!!!!

Wanna compare mine to the abominable fat canoe aka si jing's results?
Her results:
2.4km: 11.90
shuttle run: 11.3 (i think not bad already, but she says very lousy -_-)
Standing broad jump: 174cm
sit and reach: 56 (I was 0.0!!!)
sit ups: 51 (Is the canoe girl a machine?)
and incline: 51 (insane!)


And you know fat canoe, when you messaged me to tell me that my results were not bad, i was expecting you to get just a little above mine but man, thanks for being so modest la.. at least you try to make me feel good about it. Haha. But I hope I don't see some new bulges in your biceps, triceps and whatever ceps, and a 6 pack the next time I meet you :S.
For the inclined pull ups, david pe teacher was so strict! People whom I thought were much much better than me and can do a decent number continuously, couldn't meet the mark because he was so particular about our chin being entirely above the lower jiggly bar. He didn't allow body jerks too, and knee bending. Well, the latter is understandable.

At first me and manch did 5 and we just needed 2 more to pass cos we're still 17 year olds and it was the only station we couldn't meet the mark! He allowed me a second chance after pe ended and with the help of my friends cheering and motivating me, I managed to pass! You cannot imagine how thankful and happy I was. On my 5th incline raise, I even made a short silent prayer to God to help me make things work and just seeing moohuey's eager face, and having sy and manch cheer me on from the sides and having the thoughts about this being the last ever Napfa test in my entire life race pass my mind after each body raise, really helped me a lot. I know it may seem insignificant, the joy of having so many people cheer on and motivate you to push really helps you.

AFter PE yesteday, some 6 of us went to cine to watch spider man 3. Our initial plan was to watch 200 pound beauty, which we all hear from a classmate that it was really really good. I've heard the storyline from sy and it was rather satfisfactory la. Its a korean movie, and a comedy too which really made me worried.

Ok, mainly because firstly, korean dramas are really slow moving and they don't exactly have the best plots, everything is all so expectable and I don't exactly find their kind of comedy funny. Same for Taiwan based shows like that overrated Hana Kimi or meteor Garden. Ok I agree that they have really good eye-candy there in the shows, but the acting is too exaggerated, stiff and flat that I cannot sit in front of the TV and not cringe. Probably the best korean drama I've watched was My Girl, and it wasn't just because the actors/actresses were good looking. Just look at the girl playing the lead of My Girl, sure she has big eyes but save for an interesting personality, there really isn't anything else to her I liked. Of course Lim Jeong Dook was what I felt, the most good looking Korean actor I've seen but there was also the good acting to match. Overall, it was a good korean drama as it allowed me my train of thoughts and some tear-jerking moments. Moreover, the themes and every event played was actually well-pieced together beautifully.

Now for spider Man. Not bad, but just satifactory, despite all the hype said about it.

If you're looking for action and impressive dramatics, this is a show for you. The sound and visual effects were great! and there were many times I found myself almost jumping out of my seat in exhilaration.

But, the major failure of this movie I think, was the plot. It was so predictable and didn't even provoke any thoughts in me. Everything happened just as I and I'm sure the audience too expected. Much of the shows theme's were just on retribution and revenge that at some point of time, it became so boring seeing scenes related to those themes over and over again that I had to slump my shoulder to the side of the chair to rest my head. But thankfully towards the end, though expectable, everything linked well and themes of love and forgiveness reigned. So cliche right? How many movies have plots simlilar to this already?

So, apart from the action, the plot was so expectable, it didnt' cause me to jump out of my seat.

I'll give it 6.5/10 because the action was still undubitably fun and exciting!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, sam, u n sijing did so well la!!!!!! stil say not gd-__-" aiya, i nid to go study for my gp maths other tests, nx time i tell u mine, v lousy compared to yours. so urs is alr v gd, dun worry! my jump only 158cm >=@!! hey lets find one day go beachin again leh, i miss those times!

sam said...

I'm one of the more unfit girls in the class haha.

thanks anw.
don't be a duck