Monday, March 05, 2007

Instrumental links

I have this sudden urge to learn how to play the flute ever since I heard the melodious sound of it while walking out of the school today. That smooth, light whistling sound pervaded the air and I could almost imagine ripples being formed one after another if the entire ground was made of water. Contrary to that, I have just the opposite instrument lying across my lap, ready for me to pluck those strings. Haha. Speaking of instruments, this reminds of the GP paper we did today. One of the phrases written in Passage A (or was it B) was something about 'forming a new international instrument'. Man, when I was reading it I was almost on the verge of laughing. Or did I? I probably just made a silent laughter and smiled a little. And low and behold we had to summarise that point. Haha. Such a crappy phrase. It reminds me of the many times when my Dad, tries his hardest to lambast us with his repartee, but often fails as none of us are impressed. We'll just turn and look away dismayingly at each other, as if saying to one another 'Not again.' Oh well. Speaking of my Dad again, or otherwise known as the fat one in the house and one of my hapless victims in stomach-punching (hehe), he gave me a long talk on the phone after the release of the A level results. Well, I was kind of expecting that from him some time soon. Suprisingly, my family members didn't express any sense of disappointment with my chinese grades but instead, cheered me on for doing better than my brother. Haha. Alright, now I really wonder whether they are happy that I did my best and did not fail or because I manage to beat my brother for the 1st time in an academic subject (in jc). Haha, but that doesn't matter to me anymore. I just feel contented with my grades though I doubt retaking the paper will do the grade any better. At best, I'll probably get a B, and Ill probably get a merit instead for oral. After listening to my dad's talk, I can really feel the pressure and expectations he's giving me. First of all, he was lamenting about how 933+ students out of a total of 1000++ students got 4 distinctions in R J. (Gasp.) Then he went on to say that I could get at least 3 distinctions too, given all the help I can get from my siblings, who have done extremely well for A levels. (Another Gasp.) To prove that point, my Dad, the fat one :), commented, "Really, girl, I believe you can do it. I just look at the way you play and pick up the guitar (of course I was rolling my eyes as usual.)Not many people can do that you know. You are already there." For your information, daddy, playing the guitar and achieving 3 distinctions for A levels aint the same thing. Besides that, if you were to ask a true musician, and not someone who fumbly attempts to strike a few ivories on the piano with no melody (my dad), they'll tell you that I'm far from being a great guitarist, or even a good guitarist.


Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

jiayou! relax and do ur best! (haha....i should be saying the same thing to myself. oh wells.)